August 22, 2007

Exhausted

I'm still getting over my cold, a cold that has truly sapped my energy, so today's long program of orientation at my new university has left me feeling like I could easily roll over and go to sleep. The last part of the program for today was a reception for new graduate students; I left at 5:00 to come home and rest up a bit before picking up LL at the train station.

As excited as I am about starting my research, about the small stack of books and recommendations of papers that I now have after meeting with my advisor this afternoon, about the relationships I'm cultivating with my lab mates, about finally getting to this point in my career... right now, all I want to do is sleep.

I did just find out minutes ago that I will, in fact, be a lab TA for Introductory Biology. I have to attend another series of workshops on Friday for most of the day that's required of all first year TAs as the university. After that, I have to attend a department-specific orientation for new TAs, too.

Lastly, I've learned that my first project in the lab will involve sequencing the bit of genome from a potential new species of Lentinellus that lies between ribosomal coding regions, with the goal being to get some experience with molecular techniques used in the lab. Sounds like fun... but like I said, right now all I want is a long nap.

Off to retrieve LL.

Sphere: Related Content