August 17, 2007

The New Woo? Woo-Hoo? I'm at a Loss.

I'm all for personal freedoms. If you want to go out in your backyard in your underwear and howl at the moon, fine with me, so long as you're not keeping me awake with it. I have a camera; I might even take a few photos and post them in my blog if my own neighbors start doing it. I'm sure it'd bring a few hits my way, even though the neighbors are... ummmm... maybe not going to be the most photogenic people in the world while in their underwear.

Still, one does have to draw the line somewhere, and I suppose my line falls right around the spot where the neighbors are howling at the moon in their underwear late at night while drinking and setting fire to rubber auto floor mats and plastic coolers. I don't mean to step on anybody's freedom, but there's a limit, right?

Testing the limits of both personal liberty and interpersonal credulity today is one Brenna K. Barney of Waukesha, Wisconsin, a Wiccan with a penchant for creating some truly novel woo. Hang on to your... something...

Woman Faces Charges After Yelling Chants

A 42-year-old woman who describes herself as a Wiccan faces charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest after neighbors complained she was disturbing them with chants around a bonfire she had built 10 feet from her home.

Capt. Mike Babe said Brenna K. Barney of Waukesha told police they were infringing on her religious beliefs since she was performing a ritual under the new moon.

But Babe said that, in addition to the criminal charges filed Tuesday in Waukesha County Circuit Court, police might also give Barney a ticket alleging negligent handling of burning materials.

Neighbors called police shortly after midnight Tuesday and, after an officer arrived, he heard the woman yelling in the backyard and found her wearing headphones, a T-shirt and underwear, the captain said...

He said Barney at one point poured lighter fluid on the fire, in which she was burning rubber car mats and a cooler. Barney refused to cooperate with police and was belligerent, and her breath smelled of alcohol...
I must ask; is this still considered merely "woo" or have we crossed into some form of "aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwooooo!" this time around? Does the goddess like floor mats?

Exactly what, and how much of it, do you have to drink in order to start believing that standing outside in your underwear while yelling chants at the moon has some effect upon reality aside from annoying the neighbors and "invoking" the police? How much more until you get to the point that setting fire to rubber objects in front of the police you've "summoned" is a fine thing, too?

Somebody fill me in here.

Sphere: Related Content