August 18, 2007

Surya: Great Indian Food in Worcester

Better late than never!

On Thursday night, my old friend Ryan stopped over in Worcester for the night on his way from Meriden to a campout in Hubbardston. It's the first time I've seen Ryan since I was living in Tampa and he in Daytona Beach over three years ago. We decided to meet for dinner at Surya Indian Cuisine (299 Shrewsbury St., Worcester).

The food at Surya was excellent. I started with a couple of samosas and my entree was my Indian favorite, matter paneer. I can think of nothing better to say that everything was near perfect, with the mild caveat that those who are not well-versed in Indian food might wish to have their order spiced mildly, not medium. I had a kir (like rice pudding) for dessert because, alas, Surya doesn't serve my all-time favorite, ras malai. As LL stayed home with a bad cold, I also had a takeaway order made up her her: samosas and chana masala. There was also supposed to be an extra order of naan in there for her, but they must have forgotten and I didn't bother to check the order before getting home. Nonetheless, LL reports (and I can now confirm, having just finished the last of the masala) that her food was as good as mine. Aside from forgetting this bread, though, service at the restaurant was very good as well. All told, the place was well worth the trip over and I fully intend to go back again.

Considering the quality of the food, Surya's prices are reasonable. Dinner for myself and LL (two appetizers, two entrees, two naans and one dessert) came to just under $35, not including a well-earned tip for our waitresses. The place was busy while Ryan and I had dinner but we never lacked for attention and anything we needed was brought to the table in good time.

I'd recommend Surya to fans of Indian food who find themselves here in Worcester, at least based on this one visit. I know I'll be going back again before long.

Sphere: Related Content