November 05, 2007

Leave Time Alone

I don't understand why we still shuffle an hour back and forth on our clocks on two occasions each year. We're not an agrarian society anymore; can't we just leave time alone?

I have a rather precise internal alarm clock. Barring extenuating circumstances, I wake up at 5 AM every morning. I haven't used an external alarm clock to do this in years. In fact, I don't even own one. With the time change, however, 5 AM was suddenly 4 AM this morning. On most days, that wouldn't be a problem; I'd simply wrap things up for the day an hour early and adjust my sleeping schedule. Today, however, I have to teach from 6:00 until 9:00 PM. Due to my internal clock not yet resetting, that's really 7 to 10 o'clock on a day when I woke up at 4 AM.

Needless to say, I'm desperately tired at this point. I just got home and LL told me that she was making hamburgers for dinner. In my exhausted state, the word "hamburger" seemed uproariously funny. I cracked right up.

I'm one loopy dude at the moment. I hope I can remember how to feed myself. I doubt I'd even have bothered with dinner if LL hadn't been kind enough to cook it. Spending three hours explaining mitosis and meiosis, independent assortment and crossing over, chiasmata and homologous chromosomes to a bunch of freshmen after having already put in a 14 hour day is just a bit too much on the old brain.

Only Time Lords should be allowed to change time, and I haven't seen Dr. Who around here all week.

Sphere: Related Content