December 11, 2007

Lebanese Kitchens Are Bad Places for Scientists

LL is busy preparing some traditional Lebanese food for dinner tonight, and she's doing it in what is apparently the traditional Lebanese way — by finding a recipe and then not following it.

She needed a kilo of leban, and she turns around and asks me, "How many kilos in a liter?" Predictably, my reaction to this question is, "Of what?" In my world, you can't convert units of mass directly to units of volume without knowing the density of whatever it is you're measuring. I haven't a clue as to the mean density of leban.

LL somehow has decided, however, that there is one kilo of the stuff in a liter. I protested. Why even bother with a recipe? In fact, I just had to open my mouth and ask, "Why do you people even use the metric system? It's supposed to allow for precise measurement!"

Needless to say, I have now been banished from the kitchen. It has been declared a "no-science zone."

Damned crazy Lebanese anthropologists and their wild theories about the density of leban. What is the world coming to?

Sphere: Related Content