December 15, 2007

We Didn't Have Toys Like This When I Was a Kid

Coolest toy of the holiday season for your little science geekling? Hands down, it's Eyeclops. We didn't have toys like this when I was a kid. OK, the chemistry set was pretty cool (you could make things that burst into flame back then) and the all-metal erector set held my attention for a few months. Eyeclops is better.

The concept is simple enough; it's an electronic microscope that magnifies up to 200x and plugs into a television for viewing. Cool!

Forget about buying one for the kids. I want one. I have access to much higher-powered microscopes, but I'm not allowed to take them home. This gadget even has a viewing tube for looking at insects and other small organisms, and a viewing dish for containing liquid.

I don't mean to turn this into an ad, but assuming that it isn't loaded with lead and won't burst into flames, this is an instance of "why didn't anyone think of this before?" I might even buy one just to keep on the desk at my office for the sake of geek chic. The possibilities for customization are endless, too.

Can a Talking Jesus doll magnify small object 200x and put them on TV? Didn't think so. Then again, Eyeclops can't quote John 3:16 (that's what the doll actually sounds like, by the way). Hmmm, which is more fun... looking at giant bugs on TV or listening to Bible quotes? Lemme think about that one and get back to you.

Sphere: Related Content