May 06, 2008

In Which I Feel Like Dancing

As LL has often bemoaned in the past, I don't much care for dancing and on those rare occasions when I get talked into it others don't care much for my dancing. At the moment, though, I feel like doing some sort of gawky, David Byrne-ish dance because...

My adviser just approved my research proposal.

I've been working on this thing for months and now it's approved to go before my whole committee. We'll be meeting on Friday afternoon, and they'll probably shred the thing to some extent. For now, though, I am a very happy Mad Mycologist.

I've spent the better part of this afternoon converting a very old character state matrix into a digital format so that I can use it. It's from 1982. 80 characters in 34 taxa. Not the most exciting work, but I'll be able to add it to my data eventually. It's all discrete morphological characters; my data will be mainly continuous morphological and molecular characters. Between all of this, maybe I'll actually clear up the phylogeny of this beetle family. Hey, it could happen.

Back to the grunt work.

Sphere: Related Content