May 05, 2008

Murdered Over a Baseball Rivalry

I've probably mentioned before that I'm a Yankees fan. They were my team when I was growing up. I'm aware that there's a long-standing rivalry between the Red Sox and Yankees, of course. I don't care about it much; it's not something I'd be willing to fight over, certainly.

Other people don't feel the way I do about this. People do get in fights over this, and recently someone was murdered over it. Someone who would run people down with a car over in the delusion that this somehow protects the honor of their favorite baseball team must be pretty well demented to begin with. I wouldn't expect a member of the New York Yankees to do such a thing on my behalf and if I found one who would I think I'd have to report him to the authorities.

Up in New Hampshire, though, a crazy woman actually killed someone over the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry. Somebody died for this.

Sox-Yankees spat cited in N.H. killing

NASHUA, N.H.—A woman accused of running down a man in her car after a Red Sox-Yankees argument in a bar never hit her brakes as she accelerated toward the small group he was in, a prosecutor said Monday.
more stories like this

"She never braked, and she accelerated at a high speed for about 200 feet. She went directly at this group of people," prosecutor Susan Morrell said of Ivonne Hernandez, who is charged with reckless second-degree murder in the death early Friday of Matthew Beaudoin, 29...

Authorities won't describe the argument beforehand in Slade's Food & Spirits, but witnesses said it heated up when Hernandez identified herself as a New York Yankees fan. Nashua, 45 miles northwest of Boston, is Red Sox country.

Bartender Tanya Moran said the argument spilled outside, and at least one person in a group that included Beaudoin began chanting "Yankees suck!" when they saw a Yankees sticker on Hernandez's car.

Hernandez, 43, allegedly gunned her car and struck Beaudoin and his friend Maria Hughes, 21...

"She indicated to police that she wanted to scare this group of people. She thought they would get out of the way," Morrell said...
That's her excuse? She thought they'd get out of the way when she came at them with her car? How stupid does one have to be before even threatening this kind of violence against someone for insulting a baseball team?

If some guy in a bar ever started in with me about the Yankees, I'd say something like, "Yeah, you're right. The Yankees suck. I hate them." Then I'd go sit somewhere else. The Yankees hardly need to me to stand up for their honor against some schmuck trying to pick a fight because the most important thing in his life has nothing to do with him. There are things in life worth fighting, even dying, for. Baseball isn't one of them.

Sphere: Related Content