Today was an excellent day for specimen collection. So good, in fact, that even after more than 5 hours of identification work I still haven't keyed out everything that our trio found. Oddly, neither Piptoporus nor Fomes have started producing new fruiting bodies yet. I did note new growth of Pycnoporus cinnibarinus at the same spot I last collected it in April. We also found an extremely strange polyporoid. Two career mycologists looked at it and were utterly stumped as to its identity. I've started cultures (hopefully; there's no guarantee it will grow in culture) and will take another pass at an identification tomorrow. I suspect this is one that I'll have to identify by molecular analysis, though. If it had gills I'd hazard a guess that it was a Pleurocybella, but it has pores.
Not pictured below are several other specimens of which the photos didn't come out well enough to reproduce, including too many Megacollybia to shake a stick at, a Ganoderma (it may be G. lucidum or G. resinaceum, most likely the latter) and Polyporus varius. I'll be attempting to culture the latter two as well.
Here are photos of some specimens that did come out well enough, though.
Tomorrow, I'll finish my macroscopic fungi identifications and at least start on the beetles. I'll also try again for the sequences I just mentioned and perhaps start on extraction on Penthe pimelia... and perhaps on that very oddball polypore. If I have enough time, that is.