July 07, 2008

Michael Dowd on The Infidel Guy Show

I've written enough entries about Michael Dowd by now that surely I should institute a tag for him.

Dowd was a guest on The Infidel Guy Show a couple of days ago and the podcast of that show is now available. Have a listen.

The talk that Dowd gives is very much like the one that I attended in Connecticut. I still have the same concerns and I still haven't read his book, either. Someday I will, but my reading list is largely constrained by hard science lately. I still have barely started Kenneth Miller's latest book.

It occurs to me that what Michael is probably best at could be termed "evolution for people who don't care about biology." The Infidel Guy himself points this out during the interview. I don't mean that in a derogatory way. I have heard rumors that there are a lot of people out there who aren't interested in the study of the life sciences. I don't think I know any of them, but I'm a bio-geek. Let's face it, though, most people are never going to spend so much as half an hour a day studying biology. There's a niche to fill here. Right now, that niche is largely being filled by the simplistic and science-antagonistic spew of Intelligent Design Creationists. Dowd stands to become a competitor in that niche, and the Neo-Creationists know it, judging by reactions I've seen from them.

So listen and see what you think. Let's talk about it. Who knows, Michael might even show up and we might all learn something from this interaction.

Sphere: Related Content