June 25, 2008

Fossilized Thinking Revisited: If It Feels Good, Drill It

Maybe I was wrong about drilling for oil in environmentally sensitive areas as a solution to our energy woes. John McCain made a statement at a town hall meeting in Fresno, CA a couple of days ago that may force me to rethink my opinion. Who can argue with logic like this?

Even though it may take some years, the fact that we are exploiting those reserves would have psychological impact that I think is beneficial.

Source

I hadn't considered the whole "even if it's not effective, it feels good" angle. Why, that's not fossilized thinking at all! That's touchy-feely, New Age psychobabble scrumptiousness. No sense doing something that might be difficult and require real change and sacrifice when a silky-smooth non-solution can be caressed at will. Why didn't I think of that? Who needs an energy program when we can have psychological impact? We'll generate all the energy we need by banging our heads against a wall!

I'd like to offer the following campaign strategy to the McCain team at no cost:

The John McCain Ice Cream SolutionWhat could have greater positive psychological impact than passing out free ice cream cones to every man, woman and child in the nation? Nobody can be unhappy when they're eating ice cream.

It sounds like this was the direction they were heading in anyhow, so they probably don't need my help. Who needs ideas when you can have ice cream? Voters can't eat ideas!

Readers, clip that coupon now. I'm sure it will be redeemable by November.

Hyphal tip to Thoughts from Kansas.

Sphere: Related Content