November 21, 2008

First Winter Cold

I believe I have my first real winter cold. It started yesterday with a tickle in the throat when I woke up, but by the time I taught my first bio lab this had progressed to a sore throat and loss of voice. Three hours later my throat and voice were almost completely shot and a cough came on as well. By the time I finished my second biology lab section at around 8:30 PM, my throat was on fire and my voice completely shot.

This morning, I woke up at 3:30 with a pounding headache, a cough, a mild (100°) fever and an utterly raw throat. I've spent most of the day since in bed, which is where I plan on spending much of the rest of it as well.

This is what happens when one gets locked in a room with students for six hours every week, the temperature drops by about 30° in a single day, and sleep has been in short supply.

LL gets back from Florida tomorrow, having successfully defended her prospectus. I'm hoping to be in better shape by then. My other plans for the day include chicken broth and a couple of movies from Netflix. I should be getting Lucio Fulci's Beatrice Cenci and The Dead Pit today. And sleep, too. Nyquil is my friend.

Sphere: Related Content