April 02, 2008

AFA Has a Beef with McDonald's: Another "Dear Manmeat" Letter

I received another "Dear Manmeat" letter from Don Wildmon in this morning's email. I suppose he's accepted that I'm never going to make his dreams come true, but now he wants me to send email to my local McDonald's or something and ask them why they're supporting something called the "gay business agenda."

I'm not exactly sure how the "gay business agenda" differs from the "straight business agenda," though. Maybe something about a place where teenagers spend much of their day slipping meat between buns is making him uncomfortably tingly in his naughty bits. I'm sure it's a personal thing judging by the tone of the email I received:

McDonald's CEO: Company will put full resources behind gay agenda
McDonald's has signed on to a nationwide effort to promote "gay" and "lesbian" business ventures.


Dear Manmeat,

According to McDonald’s CEO Jim Skinner, McDonald’s will aggressively promote the homosexual agenda. In remarks on McDonald's Web site concerning the company becoming a member of the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC), Skinner wrote: "Being a socially responsible organization is a fundamental part of who we are. We have an obligation to use our size and resources to make a difference in the world … and we do."

The company gave an undisclosed amount of money to the NGLCC in return for being recognized as a major promoter of the homosexual agenda. In return, NGLCC placed Richard Ellis, vice president of communications of McDonald’s USA, on the NGLCC Board of Directors.

Ellis was quoted as saying: "I'm thrilled to join the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce team and ready to get to work. I share the NGLCC's passion for business growth and development within the LGBT community, and I look forward to playing a role in moving these important initiatives forward."

McDonald's refused to comment to World Net Daily on the placement of its executive on the board of the "gay" advocacy organization but did send an e-mail confirming the corporation's support for the agenda of the homosexual business lobby.

"McDonald's is indeed a Corporate Partner and Organizational Ally of NGLCC. Our vice president of U.S. communications, Richard Ellis, was recently elected to its board of directors," said Heidi M. Barker, senior director of media relations for McDonald’s. NGLCC describes itself as promoting the LGBT community first and always, including same sex marriage.

NGLCC gives credit to sponsors such as McDonald's for its financial and other support that helps in its work. "Through the commitment of our corporate partners, the NGLCC has been able to advance the ideas and causes of the LGBT business community," the Chamber said.

Take Action

Send an e-mail to McDonald's
I've never been a big fan of McDonald's myself. I find their food to be bland, mushy, awful stuff that I'll only eat in a pinch. For the next couple of weeks, though, I'm going to make it a point to have lunch there a few times. Promoting equal opportunity for all people is something I can and will support, even if it means lowering my standards for a few days. I would encourage readers of this blog to do the same.

The email link at the end of Wildmon's letter will take you to a form on the AFA's website that has a pre-written email to be sent to the CEO of McDonald's. I clicked through and changed that text to one supporting McDonald's decision not only to stand up for equal rights, but against the fundamentalist nuttery of the AFA and their homoerotically-aroused chairman, Don "Make My Dreams Come True on Saturday Night" Wildmon. Again, please take a moment to do the same. I don't know if the AFA pre-screens the emails coming from that page somehow, but even if they do, having a few thousand extra emails to screen will make their lives harder. In fact, please pass the word around and encourage others to send supportive emails to McDonald's through that link.

The "homosexual business agenda?" What exactly is that? It's code; anything a gay person does, in the tiny minds of Wildmon and his followers, is automatically different from what a non-gay person does. Somehow, being gay imparts some weird essential quality to everything one touches, apparently. This is code, of course, for "exterminate gay people." Wildmon and his bunch simply want them to disappear, to go away quietly somewhere and drop dead. In fact, here's the verbiage from the e-mail that the AFA wants people to send to McDonald's:
I am surprised to learn that McDonald's has decided to put their entire corporate strength behind the promotion of the homosexual agenda. I'm asking McDonald's to remain neutral in the culture war. Your efforts should be in providing the finest fast food products possible, not in a political battle - especially helping promote an aberrant and destructive behavior.
This is, of course, almost entirely Orwellian. The AFA doesn't see anyone as "neutral in the culture war." You're either with them or against them, and what they're demanding McDonald's do in this very e-mail is to stand with them. After all, as the e-mail points out, this is war.

For lunch today, I'm getting a quarter pounder. I don't relish the thought, and I'm not generally a fan of McDonald's practices, but for a couple of weeks I'll make an exception. For today, since there's a "war" on, I'll shell out a couple of bucks to pay for some ammo. Right now, it's burgers vs. bigotry, and I'd rather eat a crappy hamburger than even for one moment play along — even unintentionally — with a fundamentalist would-be dictator.

Sphere: Related Content